John McKenzie was the fourth child of Alexander McKenzie and wife Ann McLean, and accompanied his parents on their journey from the Isle of Skye Scotland to Australia in 1837.
John married Rebecca Rook who came from Childerley in the UK, and they were early pioneers of the Taralga / Richlands area near Goulburn – read a 1938 account of the pioneer days of Taralga.
Some of the information below comes from Don McKenzie’s “Over the Sea from Skye” – family tree of John and Rebecca – and needs to be verified.
- John b 1835 Armadale, Isle of Skye. d. 25-03-1918 in Marmont’s Flat, Taralga, buried 27-03-1918 in Presb Cem, Stonequarry, Taralga, occupation Farmer. He married Rebecca Rook, married 29-07-1865 in Church of Scotland, Redbank, Taralga, b. 14-02-1848 in Childerley, Cambridgeshire, d. 06-10-1930 in Marmont’s Flat, Richlands, Taralga, buried 07-10-1930 in Presb Cem, Stonequarry, Taralga. Nearly 50 members of the John McKenzie branch of Alexander Jnr & Ann McKenzie are buried at Stonequarry Cemetery at Taralga. At Rebecca’s death she was survived by 8 sons & 2 daughters – was he Chair of the Yalbraith Butter Factory (?)
- Angus McKenzie, b. 6-09-1864 or 1874? in Marmonts Flat living in Fiji in 1941 – went to live there in 1919 never married
- Sarah McKenzie b 1866 d 1866
- John A McKenzie b 1867
- George McKenzie, b. 19-06-1869 in Marmonts Flat m. Irene Everingham
- Donald McKenzie, b. 25-05-1871 in Marmonts Flat. married Mary White in 1893 in Taralga
- John McKenzie b 1875
- Hugh McKenzie b 1878 lived at Burra Lake married Miss Anne McNeilly of Taralga at the Presbyterian Church Taralga in 1916 and then lived at “Richlands“
- Ann Jane McKenzie b 1880 married Martin Cassera
- Elizabeth Mary McKenzie m. Charles Shaw
- Archibald McKenzie of Glen Lee Richlands ( – d 1941 – buried at Stonequarry Cemetery) lived at Richlands married Elizabeth A Howarth who died in 1946 buried at Stonequarry Cemetery Taralga
- John McKenzie married Joan ?
- Max McKenzie
- Lionel McKenzie
- Percy McKenzie
- Ruby McKenzie married H Baxter
- Mary McKenzie married George White
- Vera McKenzie married Robertson
- Connie McKenziemarried Robertson
- Joyce McKenzie married Fenwick
- Heather Grace McKenzie married Colin Hector Sinclair in 1946 at St Andrews Presbyterian in Goulburn
- Alexander McKenzie living at Branxton in 1941 married Elizabeth McNeilly
- Charles McKenzie -living at Molong in 1941 married Jane Howarth
John died in 1918 and here is his Obituary …
TARALGA. From Our Correspondent.) Death of Mr. John McKenzie.
Mr. John McKenzie of Marmont’s Flat, Taralga, died on Monday evening, aged eighty-four years, after an illness of some months. The deceased was practically a life-long resident of the State, having arrived here at the age of two years from the Isle of Skye, Scotland. For many years he lived in the Wollongong district, but he had resided here for considerably more than fifty years. Hecarried on farming and grazing pursuits.and reared a large family of eight sons and two daughters, all of whom, with his widow, survived him. The sons are-Messrs. Alex., Donald, John, George, Archie, Charles, Hugh, and Angus. All, with the exception of Angus, are married and settled in various parts of the State and Fiji. The daughters are Mesdames Shaw and Cassaren, of Yarra and Sydney respectively..The deceased was a man of exemplary character and of a kind-hearted disposition. The funeral took place on Wednesday end was largely attended. The remains were intlorred in.th Presbyterian cemetery at Stonequarry, the ‘Rev. Findley-Brown reading the burial service.
One of John and Rebecca’s sons, Donald McKenzie went to live in Fiji for man years – poles apart from living on the Isle of Skye as his grandparents had – his obituary