Alexander McKenzie Snr sailed on the William Nicol with his wife Flora McKinnon, who died during their 1837 voyage to Australia when she gave birth to triplets. He is believed to have remarried in 1839 to Janet Hutchison (NSW BDM V18393454 74A/1839), and then following Janet’s death in 1847, he subsequently remarried to Christina McGillivay/MacGillivary (NSW BDM V1847133 78/1847), later in 1847. There had also been McGillivay’s who came out to Australia on the William Nicol in 1837- perhaps Christina was one of these ?
Information supplied to Illawarra Family History Group “Illawarra Pioneers Pre 1900” by D. McKenzie “Strathairn” Myrtleville NSW
Alexander McKenzie b 1802 Nth Uist Outer Hebrides to Angus McKenzie & Mary McIntosh.
Arr : Sydney 27.10.1837 per William Nicol. Free.
Occ: Farmer Illawarra area 37 years.
Res : Wollongong; “Ellengowan” Fairy Meadow.
 c1820 Isle of Skye Flora McKinnon – d. October 1837 at sea on William Nicol – buried Great Australian Bight
 12.01.1837 Fairy Meadow Janet Hutchinson (KC Note – an error ?) – d. 1847 Ellengowan Fairy Meadow (Source Sydncy Morning Herald via Maureen Roberts)
 14.06.1847 Parramatta Christina MacGillivary – d. 1894 Avondale Schoolhouse (Source Sydney Morning Herald)
Died 18.02.1875 Fairy Meadow, Wollongong Cem. Old Pres. Section.
Issue via Flora
- Euphemia b.1826 Isle of Skye d. Maryborough QLD m.26.2.1850 W. Warren
- Ewan b. 26.11.1830 Isle of Skye
- Donald b. 1831 Isle of Skye d. “Daisy Bank” Laggan m. Christina Morison
- John b. 8.10.1834 Isle of Skye d. 11.1.1911 Tumut m. 24.11.1860 Charlotte Parmenter
- Triplets 2 unnamed b & d 1837 at sea & Flora b. 1837 at sea – d. Nov. 1837 Wollongong or Sydney (Combined Information from D McKenzie and K Christian)
Issue via Janet
Issue via Christina
- Margaret Hunter b. 10.4.1848 d. 5.6.1929 m. Tom Gordon
- Christina Mary b. 27.11.1849 d. 7.9.1938 m. Edwin Dobson
- Alexina b. 24.1.1851 d.12.12.1926 m. Alick Cook
- William b.14.5.1852 d. 7.6.1918 Wollongong (obituary) m. Margaret McPhail b abt. 1862 – d. 1933 Wollongong (obituary)
- Alexander John McLean b. 12.1.1862 d. 21.9.1922 m. Margaretta Dobson
Note from Kerrie Anne Christian – I was grateful to Don McKenzie’s contribution in the Illawarra Family History Group’s Pioneer Index series, and also to Ted Finn, another McKenzie descendant. Donald was a descendant of Alexander Snr’s son, also named Donald McKenzie, while Ted was descended from Alexander Jnr’s daughter Catherine. In the global Mackenzie Clan, Donald McKenzie was appointed to the position of Australian Lieutenant to Carbarfeidh (Caberfiedh). The Carbarfeidh has traditionally been MacKenzie of Seaforth – the head of the Mackenzie Clan. (More here 1, 2, 3, 4 – and Clan MacKenzie in Australia). Clearly Don was well loved and highly respected for all the hard work he had put into supporting Clan MacKenzie.
Don McKenzie also contributed greatly to some of our knowledge of the history of the McKenzie family with his book, “Over the Sea from Skye”. Though it is mainly focused on three of Alexander Snr’s sons, Donald, John and Alexander, it is still worthwhile for its information on our McKenzie family on the Ilse of Skye and for its information on Scottish Clans. To read the book – CLICK